Pono Endorsed Businesses make pono commitments and follow Best Management Practices to reduce the spread and introduction of invasive species.
Some examples include:
- Pre-screen all new incoming plants using the Hawaii Pacific Weed Risk Assessment (HPWRA)
- Attempt to source all plants locally or from other Pono Endorsed businesses
- Immediately discontinue the sale of Black List plants (any plants that are currently agency-controlled in the forest)
- Over the course of 2 years discontinue the sale of Phase Out List plants (plants that are commonly found to escape backyards into the forest)
- Survey and inspect all incoming material from off-island for Little Fire Ant and Coqui Frog
- Disinfect gear & equipment between sites, yards, or regions of the island
Help to protect Kauai’s forests from your backyard and support local Pono Endorsed businesses!
Promotional material for the Pono Endorsement Program sponsored in part by the Hawaii Tourism Authority.