Pono Endorsed Businesses make pono commitments and follow Best Management Practices to reduce the spread and introduction of invasive species.
Some examples include:
- Pre-screen all new incoming plants using the Hawaii Pacific Weed Risk Assessment (HPWRA)
- Attempt to source all plants locally or from other Pono Endorsed businesses
- Immediately discontinue the sale of Black List plants (any plants that are currently agency-controlled in the forest)
- Over the course of 2 years discontinue the sale of Phase Out List plants (plants that are commonly found to escape backyards into the forest)
- Survey and inspect all incoming material from off-island for Little Fire Ant and Coqui Frog
- Disinfect gear & equipment between sites, yards, or regions of the island