October each year is Little Fire Ant Awareness Month but that doesn’t mean we should forget them again come November 1. Keeping our island safe from this harmful invasive pest is an important kuleana for everyone. Free test kits remain available at your local library through the end of November. Testing is quick and easy:
- Spread a thin layer of peanut butter (provided) on a popsicle stick (5 provided)
- Place the sticks in your yard in moist, shady areas near vegetation, including in pots of potted plants and in or on trees
- Leave for one hour
- Collect any sticks with ants present, carefully so as not to dislodge the ants, and place in a plastic bag (provided)
- Place in the freezer overnight
- Mail in for analysis using the return address envelope provided.
If everyone on Kauai would test their yard once a year, we could remain free of this dreaded invader. Please pick up a kit and run a test of your yard today!
More info at stoptheant.org or call us with any questions.