REPORT IF SEEN: This species is currently controlled by KISC, if you see it please report it.
Species: Macaranga mappa
KISC is actively controlling this species. Sightings of this pest should be reported immediately. If you suspect that you have any of our targets on your property, KISC will survey and if confirmed, will remove it for free.
- Large leaved plant that grows 15-30ft tall
- Large round leaves, up to 2-3ft long
- Stem attaches at the middle of the leaf
- Red bracts, or flowers, are found along main stem
- Native to the Philippines and cultivated in tropical regions across the world
- Large leaf structure creates a dense growth that can crowd and shade out other vegetation and the forest understory
- Crowds out other forest trees and shrubs
- Grows in roadsides, gulches, and disturbed forests
Individual specimens have been located and removed in Kalaheo and Omao, and a small population is being mapped and treated in Hanalei.
You can plant pono by reporting Bingabing to KISC at 808-821-1490 or email@example.com . KISC crew members can remove it from your landscaping free of charge and help identify suitable replacements.
Parasol Leaf Tree
Parasol Leaf Tree has very similar looking leaves and is a relative of Bingabing, however it has much smaller leaves. Leaves are less than 1′ foot long. Flowers are noticeably different as they are a pale yellow color. While the Parasol Tree is a weed, and grows very fast, it is not a KISC target and does not need to be reported.